People to People Sponsor Access Procedures for Fort Leavenworth
Renew your LAC Pass in February
It’s our turn! It’s now time for GKCPTP sponsors to renew our Local Access Control (LAC) passes.
Mike Brettmann of the International Military Student Division (IMSD) at Fort Leavenworth notified GKCPTP a few months ago about upcoming changes to improve Local Access Control (LAC) procedures going forward.
Because Summer renewals are an extremely busy time with officers leaving and officers coming to Fort Leavenworth, a change was necessary to alleviate the Summer workload. IMSD and the Visitors Control Center (VCC) agreed to issue the majority of GKCPTP sponsor LACs in February and have them expire a year from that date. Below is a summary of changes:
Current Sponsors (class of 2018):
- All GKCPTP sponsors holding LACs will renew them in February of 2018
- Use the same form (see linked blank LAC form)
- Complete only the first 2 sections, stop after the Criminal History question. Do not sign or date the form.
- Send the form to Sharon Valasek at firstname.lastname@example.org or Pat Burnett at email@example.com.
- We will submit to IMSD for processing and notify each sponsor once the LAC is approved.
- We will provide instructions to each sponsor for picking up the new LAC pass. VCC hours are 7:00 to 4:00 on weekdays, 8:00 to 4:00 weekends.
Consequences and Exceptions:
- IMSD will work with GKCPTP sponsors who are going to be gone during February to find a month that suits them
- The consequences of not renewing in February is the wait will be longer and unless sponsors have a good reason it will not go to the top of our list.
- Sponsors can use their current pass to the expiration date.
New (future) Sponsors (class of 2019) and those who are/will no longer be sponsoring:
- In May of 2018 when GKCPTP has assigned sponsors for the IMS Class of 2019, IMSD will collect LACs from any sponsors from the 2018 class who are no longer sponsoring and destroy those LACs
- New sponsors must submit their applications by the 15th of June each year so IMSD has enough time to process their paperwork before the sponsor Icebreakers.
IMSD will hold a meeting each Wednesday with the VCC to reconcile the LAC status (submitted LACs and what their status is).
These improvements should lighten the load for all parties during the busiest time of the year when the officers arrive. Please let me (Sharon Valasek) or Pat Burnett know if you have any questions.
These contact e-mails can only assist members of People to People sponsoring international officers.
Please follow the above protocol in applying for LAC. Do not submit your paperwork directly to the Fort. The military committee needs the paper trail to help you in the event that there is a problem with your application.
How to pickup your approved LAC ID.
When you are notified that your credentials are approved, passes need to be picked up within 30 days. There have been some problems with the machine that creates the ID card, so it is advisable to call the Visitor Control Center, 913-684-3600, prior to driving to Leavenworth. If there are any problems while you are there, call Mike Brettmann's personal cell at 913-724-2864.
|NEW Visitor Control Center Hours for LAC processing:|
|MONDAY TO FRIDAY||0700-1600|
|SATURDAY TO SUNDAY||0800-1600|
|ALL OTHER HOLIDAYS||CLOSED|
Bring a valid photo id to the Visitor Control Center at Sherman gate. There you will have your photo taken and ID card made.
Kansas residents need only a current KS driver’s license.
Missouri residents will need identification in addition to their driver’s license to pick up their credentials.
Supplemental documentation to prove identity:
* United States Passport or United States Passport Card
* Permanent Resident Card/Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
* Foreign passport with a temporary (I-551) stamp or temporary (I-551)
printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa
* Employment authorization document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
* In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific
employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94Abearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as long as the endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
* School identification card with a photograph
* U.S. Military or draft record
If you are attending a function at the Fort and you are unable to enter due to LAC difficulties, please address the situation in the following
- Reach out to your officer to escort you on post.
- Call Mike Brettmann: 913-724-2864.
- Call Jim Fain: 913-683-8584.
Further information including a map of the Fort may be found at: https://garrison.leavenworth.army.mil/
Additional Information on Base Access Policy
Visitor Control Center (VCC) Information
Visitor and commercial vehicles:
If you do not have an ID card listed on the Department of Defense (DoD) issued ID cards website, you must stop by the VCC at the corner of Metropolitan Avenue and 4th Street. Follow directional signs to the center's parking lot.
At the VCC, reception clerks will verify that the vehicle driver has a valid license, registration and proof of insurance and that all passengers, 16 and over, have either a driver's license or other form of photo ID. Following a routine background check, visitors will receive a Temporary Pass and instructions allowing them to enter the installation.
Don't be intimidated by our access procedures. Fort Leavenworth encourages visitors to our historic post and you are welcome here. These security measures are to keep all of us safe.
The VCC is OPEN 6:30 am - 4:30 pm everyday and most Federal Holidays.
The VCC is CLOSED on the following Federal Holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year's Day.
Grant gate will NOT issue temporary visitor passes after the VCC is closed!All visitors who have a need to get on post after the VCC is closed, must have a LAC / Pass (see below) or must be escorted.
View the "Access Control Quick Reference Guide".
REAL ID Act
Fort Leavenworth is in compliance with the REAL ID Act of 2005. For the most current information concerning state-by-state compliance with the REAL ID Act, go to:
This means visitors with drivers licenses from non-compliant states will need to provide supplemental documentation to prove identity (see link below) in order to be issued a temporary installation pass.
View "Supplemental documentation to prove identity".
If a visitor requesting access does not have REAL ID Act compliant form of identification and cannot provide supplemental identity proofing documents, they must be escorted at all times while on the installation. All persons requesting unescorted access will continue to be vetted through the National Crime Information Center, prior to being issued a locally produced ID or pass.
Locally Approved Credential (LAC) or Temporary Pass
Individuals eligible to receive a LAC are:
- Non-DoD civilians who are employed on Fort Leavenworth.
- Those who have a regular / recurring requirement to access Post and are sponsored by an approved Army employee.
- Personnel residing on Fort Leavenworth not issued a DOD ID.
LAC ID card:
View the LAC Application Form. Fill out form and sign the Acknowledgement Statement. Provide the application to your appointed Government sponsor for them to complete. Turn the application into the VCC for processing.
Once approved, the applicant will go to the VCC to receive their LAC picture ID card.
Temporary Pass up to 30 days:
Individuals sponsored by a Uniformed Service Member or their spouse may receive up to a 30 day pass. The sponsor is required to accompany the visitor to the VCC at the time the pass is issued. No prior paperwork is required.
Temporary Pass up to seven days:
Individuals who successfully pass the require background check are eligible for up to a 7 day pass (depending on the purpose and duration of the visit). No prior paperwork is required.
These passes may be issued up to seven days before the visit or event. Example, for an event on 20 May, a day pass can be issued on 14 May to be used on 20 May. Pre-vetted passes give personnel the opportunity to visit the VCC during off peak customer times. Help us and your event be a success by planning ahead.
Contact the Garrison Security Office at 684-1752 / 1712 for questions concerning access by foreign nationals.
Submitting Personally Identifiable Information (PII):
The Visitor Control Center requires certain PII in order to conduct security background checks. Generally, this information is obtained when you come to the VCC. On occasion, pre-vetting is necessary for special events or other exceptions. Do not send PII (Name, SS#, Date of Birth, etc) through unsecured means such as email, text, etc. If you desire to submit documents with PII electronically, you must use the Army's approved Safe Access File Exchange (SAFE) website.
View "Instructions for submitting secure documents from non-DOD email"
RAPIDGate is a voluntary program to allow businesses the option of receiving up to a 12 month ID for use at Fort Leavenworth. The program is recognized and approved by the U.S. Army.
If you have questions regarding the RAPIDGate Program and companies that service Fort Leavenworth may initiate enrollment by calling 1.877.RAPIDGate (1.877.727.4342).
We strongly encourage you to review the program benefits that this program offers. It will assist us with streamlining access for your employees; improving the ability of our access control personnel and maintaining higher levels of security and efficiency.
GOOD TO KNOW:
- All U.S. military personnel who operate a motorcycle and/or scooter are required to present a valid Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) card and their CAC card to Gate Security Officers prior to entering the installation. Personnel who fail to present a valid MSF or CAC card will be denied access to the installation.
- Unregistered weapons will NOT be allowed to enter the installation. Newly assigned personnel have 72 hours to register weapons at the Weapon Registration office in the VCC.
Visit the Fort Leavenworth gate information page for additional information.
Greater Kansas City People to People
Copyright 2018 - Greater Kansas City People to People - All Rights Reserved.